DIY Light box for Photographing products

I'll admit, I tend to neglect this blog. And when I finally do wish to blog on a certain product, it's nighttime and I am unable to take good pictures do to poor lighting. I use my iPhone 4S as my camera because it's just easy to transfer files much easier but tbh iPhone cameras suck for nighttime photos. So I started doing research on how to take decent pictures for products and discovered this, a DIY project for a light box.














If you google DIY light box you'll find a lot of makeshift light boxes out of cardboard, white fabrics or papers and desk lamps. I had no cardboard boxes big enough at home but really wanted to the process. So I came up with this. I walked around my house and gathered all of these items I had laying at home.



Materials:
  1. IKEA SKUBB organizers in white (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60192633/#/00192631)
  2. A tube light for lighting from above
  3. 2 desk lamps for lighting the left and right side
  4. White paper for your background (or whatever background you prefer)
Essentially the idea is the same as using a cardboard and you don't need to cut anything out and tape papers or fabrics inside. It's quite easy and I'm very pleased with the results. I used the largest organizer from the set and because the organizer is white itself it helps with the brightening but the material of these organizers are thick enough that they diffuse light easily. You can always add more lamps or use tube lights for all three lamps.


I basically placed the tube light above the organizer by setting it directly on top of it. I plugged in two more desk lamps and placed them on either side. You dont have to worry about burning anything because I was taking pictures for quite a while and nothing heated up. I placed a white paper at the back as the background and it curved perfectly and didn't slip out due to the edges of the organizer. 


 Here are some product pictures I took in the light box that I plan on reviewing in the future:




Hope this helps some of you who are on a budget or dont have enough space to have a bulky cardboard box standing in your room. I had an extra organizer laying around so I used that one but the organizers are really useful for drawers and the best part is that you can unzip them and they collapse so you can easily slip them under a pile of books or in a closet and they'll lay flat, taking next to 0 space. They come in a set of 6 and are quite cost effective so I'd highly recommend buying them just to organize your bedroom :)



1 comments:

 

About

Blogroll

Blogger news